This is from one of my teachers at the night college I attend, Pastor Carpenter travels quite the distance to come teach, and it is a blessing to be under his teaching! This is a very detailed look at the King James Controversy...
Our Perfect Book (part III)
By Pastor Don Carepenter
III. Logical conclusions from the doctrine of preservation
A. God inspired every word of Scripture
2 Timothy 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
B. God protected and preserved every word of Scripture
6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
1. There is a perfect set of preserved manuscripts
2. There is a preserved English translation based upon those perfectly preserved manuscripts
Where is God's perfect Word today?
Our Perfect Book Under Attack Jeremiah 23:36 Preached Sunday Morning June 24, 2007
And the burden of the LORD shall ye mention no more: for every man’s word shall be his burden; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the LORD of hosts our God
We have already seen that God's word claims to be word for word inspired – or God-breathed. The original authors wrote the very words of God in the original manuscripts.
Last week we found that although we do not have the original manuscripts, God has preserved every word throughout the generations.
Today we will try to shed some light on an issue that has received some local attention recently. There are those who, for whatever reason, are highly offended that we as a church believe the God has preserved His words for us in English in the King James Bible. Rather than sinking to the levels of slander and distortion of the truth, let us think biblically about this issue as well.
We have seen biblically that God has preserved every word of Scripture. We will see tonight that our Bibles seem to differ from one another. Since they are different, according to the Bible, they cannot all be preserved. Tonight we will sort out the modern version issue as we see God's prefect Book under attack.
I. Casting doubt on God's exact words is the oldest trick in the book
A. God gave a specific command to Adam and Eve
Genesis 2:16-17 - 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
B. Satan attacked in steps
1. Casting doubt
Genesis 3:1 - Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2. That doubt leads people to change God's exact words
Genesis 3:2-3 - 2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
3. Offering an entirely different story
Genesis 3:4-5 - 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
II. Satan has successfully followed the same pattern by corrupting manuscript copies in the original languages
Revelation 22:18-19 - 18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
A. In spite of this attack, God has promised to preserve His word
Psalm 12:6-7 - 6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
1. There is a perfectly preserved set of manuscripts
2. There are corrupted manuscripts
3. We need the wisdom to understand the difference
4. There are two basic textual families to evaluate
B. The Alexandrian copies
1. Make up a total of 1% of all existing copies of the original language manuscripts
2. Sinaiticus – found in a Greek Orthodox monastery near Mt. Sinai. It had been in a wastebasket ready to be burned when Constantine von Tischendorf discovered it in 1844. This manuscript was thought to be 1500 years old upon discovery.
3. Vaticanus – found in the Vatican library. It was judged to have been copied about 350 A.D.
4. The Alexandrian copies, or the Critical Text, come from polluted sources.
a. Affected by Greed and Platonic philosophy
b. Affected by Gnostic heresies
c. Affected by Arianism, which focused upon the denial of the deity of Christ
d. Evidence points to tampering by Origen, the father of Arianism, in the production of these copies
5. The Alexandrian copies contradict each other – the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus alone show over 3000 variants between themselves in just the Gospels alone
6. Every modern English translation comes from the Alexandrian manuscripts
C. The Antioch Copies
1. Referred to as the Received Text or the Textus Receptus
2. Make up 99% of the existing manuscripts
3. Each manuscript of this vast collection is almost identical. The thousands of manuscripts of the Textus Receptus are one unified witness.
4. Although the existing copies are newer than the Alexandrian Texts, Edward Miller, an accomplished textual historian has found extensive quotations of the Textus Receptus by church leaders as early as the second century onward.
5. The only current English translation coming from the Textus Receptus is the King James Bible.
III. Major doctrines are corrupted by the Alexandrian copies and the modern English translations. – Compare versions:
1. Luke 9:56 - For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
Luke 9:56 NIV - and they went to another village.
2. Matthew 18:11 - For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
Matthew 18:11 NIV – doesn't exist
3. Colossians 1:14 - In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Colossians 1:14 NIV - in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
4. Galatians 6:15 - For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
Galatians 6:15 NIV – Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.
5. Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 1:16 NIV – I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
6. John 6:47 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
John 6:47 NIV – I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.
7. 1 John 5:13 - These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
I John 5:13 NIV – I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
B. Christ's deity
1. 1 Timothy 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
I Timothy 3:16 NIV – Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.
2. Philippians 2:5-6 - 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Philippians 2:5-6 NIV – 5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped
3. 1 John 5:7-8 - 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
I John 5:7-8 NIV – 7For there are three that testify: 8the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
4. John 6:69 - And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
John 6:69 NIV – We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.
C. The Virgin birth
1. Luke 2:33 - And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
Luke 2:33 NIV – The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him.
2. Luke 2:43 - And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
Luke 2:43 NIV – After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it.
D. Eternal punishment
1. Mark 9:44-46 - 44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. 45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mark 9:44-46 NIV – And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
2. John 3:15 - That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:15 NIV – that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
Pastor Don Carpenter
And this is the last one folks!
Hope you all enjoyed!
A great big THANKYOU to Pastor Carpenter for allowing me to use his material