Sunday, March 7, 2010

Homemade Donuts and Chocolate Glaze

I love to make homemade donuts every once in a while, and thought you would all enjoy it if I shared the recipe! I photographed it step by step. At the bottom of the post I will type out the entire recipe for those who would like to try it! (I highly encourage you to do so!)
These donuts are very light and fluffy, and the BEST recipe I have ever tried!

I use a mixer made by the Bosch company
I LOVE this machine and I hope to have one of my own someday!
I use the Dough Hook to mix this dough.


Start with 2tsp of yeast


Then add 2 eggs Whisked into the mixer

Next a 1/2 cup of sugar


Add 1/2 cup of melted Shortening


Next, 1 1/2 cups of warm milk


We will include 1 cup of flour for now...


Mix briefly till smooth.

Let rest for 15 minutes. This gives the yeast a head start!


After 15 minutes... big beautiful bubbles!

Now add 2tsp of salt


5-7 more cups of flour.

Turning the power to medium I knead the dough in the machine for 4 minutes


The nice thing with the Bosch is you know you have enough flour when the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, and forms a ball.

I take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it to rise in a greased bowl. I usually place a towel or plastic wrap over it.

The dough will rise for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes I turn out the dough onto a floured surface (being those "lovely" old yellow counter tops... lol) and divide it in half.

Roll out the dough to about a 1/2" thickness


Now cutting out the dough shapes... you can use anything large and round, I used to use a plastic cup till my Dad made me these metal donut-cutters. (thankyou Dad!!)

For the donut centers I use a medicine cup, or bottle cap. Anything small.
I collect all the donut holes and scraps, and press them into a ball, sometimes adding a tiny bit of water to help it reform into a ball. I will let the scrap ball rest for about 15 minutes then I cut out more donuts.

I let the donut shapes rise on lightly greased cookie sheets

I find that a slightly warm oven helps the rising process. (the bowl has my scrap ball) I have learned to be careful doing this... one time the oven was too warm and the donuts started to bake!!!!

I let them rise about an hour and a half.


After the final rising time... I get out a good sized pot and pour some oil in. I probably used about 3-6 cups of oil. depends on the size of the pot. Heat the oil on medium, and as you fry the donuts always be lowering the heat. Hot oil is dangerous, so be extremely careful.


I use a wide slotted spoon to carefully place the donuts into the oil. Once the center starts to golden I flip them over very carefully.


You want them a light golden brown, frying them always seems to go fast and it is easy to burn if you aren't careful.

I let the freshly fried donuts cool on a cookie rack.
I place out a sheet of aluminum foil and put newspaper over that as my oil catch.


Tada!! Now the donuts are done and we can move on to the Chocolate glaze.
The donuts will have to be fully cooled before glazing.

Start by sifting together 2 cups of powdered sugar with 1/4 cup of cocoa powder


I measure out 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
(somewhat less then a cup)

In a sauce pan I combine 1/2 cup of butter (or margarine) , 1/4 cup of warm milk, 1Tbl of corn syrup, and 2 tsp of vanilla extract on medium heat until the butter has melted.

Lower the heat and add the chocolate chips and whisk until the chips are melted...

Like this!

Turn off the heat and add the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and whisk until it is silky smooth.

You might find you need to add a tiny bit more milk at this point, sometimes I do. You want it smooth!
Place the pan in a bowl of warm water and dip the donuts right away, the glaze is going to harden fast! The warm water will help slow down that. As you dip the donuts whisk the mixture ever so often.

The final product! (we added choco-sprinkles
for mom!)
By the way, you will need to do the sprinkles very soon after you dip the donuts.

Let the glaze fully harden for about 30 minutes

Then, well, eat them!!!!!

So yummy!!!

God bless, Rebecca


Homade Donuts
2tsp of yeast
2 eggs whisked
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of melted Shortening
1 1/2 cups of warm milk
6-8 cups of flour.

Combine ingredients into your mixer. Mix briefly till smooth. Let rest for 15 minutes.

Now add 2tsp of salt Turning the power to medium knead the dough in the machine for 4 minutes. You know you have enough flour when the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, and forms a ball. Take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it to rise in a greased bowl. Place a towel or plastic wrap over it.The dough will rise for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes I turn out the dough onto a floured surface and divide it in half. Roll out the dough to about a 1/2" thickness Now cutting out the dough shapes... you can use anything large and round, Anything small ad round can be used for cutting out the donut holes
Collect all the donut holes and scraps, and press them into a ball, sometimes adding a tiny bit of water to help it reform into a ball. Let the scrap ball rest for about 15 minutes then cut out more donuts. Let the donut shapes rise for 1 1/2 hours on lightly greased cookie sheets, cover with a towel

After the final rising time... get out a good sized pot and pour some oil in. I probably used about 3-6 cups of oil, depends on the size of the pot. Heat the oil on medium, and as you fry the donuts always be lowering the heat. Hot oil is dangerous, so be extremely careful.
Use a wide slotted spoon to carefully place the donuts into the oil. Once the center starts to golden flip them over very carefully. You want them a light golden brown, frying them always seems to go fast and it is easy to burn if you aren't careful.Let the freshly fried donuts cool on a cookie rack. The donuts will have to be fully cooled before glazing.




The Chocolate Glaze*

2 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of butter (or margarine)
1/4 cup of warm milk
1Tbl of corn syrup
2 tsp of vanilla extract

Start by sifting together 2 cups of powdered sugar with 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
In a sauce pan combine 1/2 cup of butter (or margarine) , 1/4 cup of warm milk, 1Tbl of corn syrup, and 2 tsp of vanilla extract on medium heat until the butter has melted.
Lower the heat and add the chocolate chips and whisk until the chips are melted.
Turn off the heat and add the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and whisk until it is silky smooth.
Place the pan in a bowl of warm water and dip the donuts right away, the glaze is going to harden fast! As you dip the donuts whisk the mixture ever so often.
Let the glaze fully harden for about 30 minutes

*this recipe is a variation of Alton Brown's Chocolate Glaze

6 comments:

Abby Rogers said...

I was browsing through profiles and found yours. We seem to have similar interests; maybe you would be interested in my blog! I am a homeschooler, and therefore hold unique views on life. On my blog I express those views, post recipes, book reviews, portions of interesting articles, and try to entertain and interest whatever small audience I might have. Take a peek, you might like what you find:

http://differenthomeschoolgirl.blogspot.com/

P.S. Mmmmm, those donuts look yummy!

HIS daughter said...

OHHHH!!!!! And you put them on HERE TOO!!! Sheesh! :) Now I am REALLY REALLY REALLY HUNGRY! Lol :)
Love ya girl! :)
Katy

Covey Family said...

ummm, nothing to say but mmmmmmmmm!!!!! And, thanks for the recipe!!

sarah

Miss Emily Rachael said...

Those look so good, I'm super excited about trying out the recipe!

Emily <3

linda said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will be making them for my boys next week.

Covey Family said...

OK,

so I tried this, and the donuts were DELICIOUS!!! Except, it didn't take very long for them to get hard and stale!! Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the recipe!

sarah